About The School
Saint Philip Neri School proclaims the Good News of Jesus Christ and teaches children to embrace the values of the Catholic Church. We strive to develop in our students a strong sense of self-worth as well as a genuine concern for others. Children are taught to value themselves and all people as a reflection of God’s love.
Building from a tradition of excellence established by the Sisters of Providence in 1910, Saint Philip Neri offers a high quality curriculum that addresses each child’s individual needs in regard to spiritual, academic, social, and physical development.
- Hours of Operation: 8:00 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. The school office is open from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on days school is in session.
- Before Care: 6:30 a.m. to 7:45 a.m., breakfast offered.
- After Care: 3:15 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- School Nurse: St. Philip Neri School has a full time on-site registered nurse provided by St. Vincent Hospital and Health Services.
- School Counselor: Catholic Social Services provides a part time school counselor. The counselor is available Wednesdays and Fridays to assist students, parents, and teachers.
History of Saint Philip Neri School
St. Philip Neri School had its beginning on January 4, 1910 just six months after the founding of St. Philip Neri Parish on the near eastside of Indianapolis. The school of 83 students began with four Sisters of Providence from St. Mary of the Woods, IN teaching in four rooms of the newly completed convent. As the school and parish grew a school building was constructed in 1915 which became known as the “boys’ school” as the girls continued their education in the convent classrooms.
The current school was completed and opened in 1926 with over 750 students and staffed by 22 Sisters of Providence. The large stained window of the American flag above the main entrance was designed by Father George Smith, the pastor at the time. St. Philip School has grown and changed over the years in order to meet the needs of its students. Parishioners are especially proud of the fact of that St. Philip Neri School has the highest number of vocations to the priesthood and religious life among its graduates.
In 2005, St. Philip Neri School became a part of the Mother Theodore Catholic Academies, a consortium of schools serving the urban areas of Indianapolis. A grant from the Lilly Foundation to the MTCA resulted in the complete renovation of the school building in 2009, preparing the school for another century of shaping spirits, minds, and futures…